Fenugreek seeds, also known as fenugreek seeds, have several health benefits. Methi dana not only enhances the flavor of your meal but also relieves a variety of common ailments. What’s more, fenugreek seeds, surprisingly, can be ingested not only in meals but also in water.
Nutritional Value of Methi (Fenugreek Seeds)
Fenugreek is a unique herb with a wide range of applications in daily life and potential medical advantages. 1 tbsp of fenugreek (methi) consist of 35gms of calories with various nutrient like –
- Protein- 3gms
- Carbohydrate- 6gms
- Fat – 1gm
- Fiber – 3gms
- Iron: 20% of Daily Value (DV)
- Manganese- 7% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Magnesium – 5% of the Daily Value (DV)
Apart from these, fenugreek seeds are high in vitamins and minerals that are essential for good health too. These tiny seeds are also rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that are beneficial to health.
Fenugreek water benefits
The fenugreek water benefits are listed below to help you understand how fenugreek water can enhance your health if you adopt it into your daily routine.
1. Managing Diabetes and Blood Sugar
Fenugreek water is a great way to keep blood sugar levels in check, It may also aid in managing insulin resistance by improving insulin sensitivity and responsiveness.
2. Natural Remedy for Milk Production
Fenugreek has been shown to enhance breastfeeding supply and weight gain in newborns,
3. Elimination of Toxins
Fenugreek water helps flush out the toxins from the body and promotes good bowel movement. It also assists in the treatment of digestive issues such as constipation, indigestion, etc.
4. Improving Digestion
Fenugreek water is a powerful antibacterial. Its regular consumption may help enhance the function of the digestive system and reduce the symptoms of gastritis and bloating, It’s best to drink it throughout the cooler months.
5. Lowering Cholesterol
Fenugreek water benefits by reducing total cholesterol, LDL (bad cholesterol), and triglyceride levels in the blood while increasing healthy HDL cholesterol levels. This is due to the presence of steroidal saponins in these seeds, which limits cholesterol absorption in the intestines.
6. Improving Gut Health
Methi water is good for your gut health because it relieves indigestion, constipation, and other digestive problems, Galactomannan is a soluble fiber found in fenugreek. It produces the sensation of being full. As a result, it helps control appetite.
7. Enhancing Heart Health
The natural soluble fibers present in methi water are also good for your heart. Methi water benefits by protecting from heart attacks, It also aids in the prevention of improper blood clotting, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes. Having methi water may also help people with high cholesterol lower their cholesterol levels.
8. Weight Loss
Methi water benefits for weight loss are wonderful. Having it in the morning can help to speed up the metabolism, Its ingestion increases heat in the body and aids in weight management and loss,
9. Improving Hair Growth and Health
Drinking fenugreek water for hair is a good habit to adopt as it helps in improving hair growth by strengthening the hair follicle, enhancing the hair volume, and reducing roughness and dandruff by killing the bacteria and fungi on the scalp.
10. Reducing Arthritis Pain
Fenugreek seeds have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that aid to relieve arthritic pain, Hence, drinking fenugreek water benefits in reducing arthritic pain.
11. Improving Kidney Function
Methi water for the kidney is beneficial as it consists of polyphenolic flavonoidswhich help to improve kidney function and protect cells by building a membrane around them.
12. Enhancing Skin Quality
Fenugreek water benefits for skin are several since it contains vitamin K and C, which help brighten skin and prevent acne and a range of other skin issues such as fine lines, dark spots, and wrinkles.
13. Has Analgesic Effect
Methi water benefits the menstrual cycle in women as it consists of antibacterial and opiate painkiller properties that aid in the reduction of Premenstrual Syndrome symptoms such as discomfort and menstrual cramps (PMS). Methi water provides both long-term and short-term relief from menstrual cramps.
14. Acts as an Antacid
Fenugreek water benefits people with acid reflux. Having fenugreek water on an empty stomach can lower acidity and help improve digestion,
15. Improving Immunity
Fenugreek water benefits overall health by boosting immunity and providing vitality to fight against respiratory ailments like cold, cough, and fever.
16. Enhancing Sexual Health
Fenugreek contains compounds called furostanolic saponins, which are believed to increase testosterone production, Hence, fenugreek water benefits sexual health by improving testosterone levels, sperm count, and symptoms related to low testosterone, such as low libido.
17. Blood Detoxification
fenugreek water aids in blood purification and detoxification,
Drinking fenugreek water can help you deal with fatigue, sickness, and headaches.
Methi Water For Kidney
Fenugreek water for kidneys has many beneficial effects-
- It helps in protecting the kidneys from the harm caused by chemicals. As per the study published in 2010 in the journal “Human and Experimental Toxicology“, fenugreek has preventive properties against kidney damage caused due to pesticides.
- It is the production of kidney stones. Fenugreek water helps prevent kidney stones by reducing calcification in the kidneys and lowering the amount of total calcium in the kidney tissue.
- Fenugreek water benefits the kidneys by preventing oxidative stress. Oxidative stress occurs when the antioxidant levels are lower than usual, and it is linked to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease in persons with chronic renal disease. Fenugreek administration enhanced the antioxidant levels in the kidney and reduced oxidative stress resulting in the prevention of diabetic kidney damage.
How to Make Methi Water?
Methi seeds can be easily soaked in water due to their high content of water-soluble minerals and fibres.
Here is how you can prepare methi water at home? It is very easy.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds or fenugreek seeds, and soak them in a glass of boiling water.
- Cover it with a lid and keep it overnight.
- Do this before going to bed.
- Strain out the fenugreek seeds the next morning and drink the water.
Fenugreek water can also be made by combining methi or fenugreek powder with hot water.
- To prepare this, first, toast the fenugreek seeds in a skillet.
- Roast until the seeds begin to emit a fragrance.
- Turn off the heat and allow the seeds to cool.
- In a blender, blend the seeds without adding any water.
- Every morning, mix 1 tsp of the powder with warm water and drink.
Methi Water Side Effects
- Pregnant women should avoid drinking methi water because the seeds might cause birth defects and early labor in women.
- Methi water is harmful to women with hormone-sensitive malignancies because it reacts with oestrogen.
- When fenugreek water is used in quantities more than the recommended amounts, it might cause stomach pain, diarrhoea, headaches, dizziness, bloating, and gas.
- In sensitive people, it might trigger seasonal allergies, face puffiness, coughing, wheezing, and severe allergic reactions.
- Excessive use of methi seeds might induce dangerously low blood glucose levels in diabetics.
- Methi water should not be consumed by people who have low blood pressure.
- In youngsters, the water may cause redness of the skin and discomfort.
Summing Up on Methi Water Benefits
- The benefits of fenugreek water are many. It aids in weight loss and improves the health of your liver and kidneys. Fenugreek promotes digestion and relieves menstruation cramps while also helping to manage blood sugar levels.
- Methi water’s antioxidant capabilities purify your system while also promoting skin health and hair growth. To make methi tea, soak methi seeds in water or boil fenugreek powder. Honey or lemon can be added to the tea to add flavour.
- To stimulate your metabolism and improve nutritional intake, start your day with a glass of fenugreek water.
- If you’re expecting a child, do not have methi water.
- Consult your doctor before consuming fenugreek seeds in water if you have serious allergies.
Can We Drink Methi Water Daily?
Yes, Fenugreek water can be consumed daily. Drinking it regularly will help in improving overall health.
Can We Boil Methi Seeds in Water?
Yes, you can boil methi seeds in water as it softens the seeds and releases the nutrients. It also lessens their bitterness, making them easier to chew and swallow.
Is Methi Good for Periods?
Taking 2-3 grams of fenugreek seed powder three times daily for the first three days of a menstrual period, followed by 1gram three times daily for the next two days of menstrual cycles, lowers discomfort during painful periods,
Is Fenugreek Good for PCOS?
The role of fenugreek in controlling and preventing diabetes is known. The seeds not only help with glucose control but also help with insulin resistance, which is crucial for PCOS management,
- Florence Galtier, Eric Renard, Pierre Petit, December 2009; A fenugreek seed extract selectively reduces spontaneous fat consumption in healthy volunteers – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19809809/
- Anita Kochhar, Malkit Nagi, December 2005; Effect of supplementation of traditional medicinal plants on blood glucose in non-insulin-dependent diabetics: a pilot study – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16379570/
- Darryn Willoughby, Richard Kreider, December 2010; Effects of a purported aromatase and 5α-reductase inhibitor on hormone profiles in college-age men – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21116018/
- Ethan Basch, Catherine Ulbricht, Grace Kuo, February 2003; Therapeutic applications of fenugreek –